Position Title: Positive Reinforcement Training (PRT) Technician
Descriptive Title: PRT Technician
Shift: Day 7a.m. – 4 p.m. or 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. TBD. Night/Weekend/holiday work may be required.
FLSA: Normally Non-Exempt
Risk Level: 3
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: At Chimp Haven we believe we’re not that different, humans and chimpanzees. Chimps have personalities, emotions and relationships, just like us, and we are on a mission to connect them to the happy healthy lives they deserve. That is why we are providing and promoting personalized care for chimpanzees (most of whom were retired from biomedical research) by helping them, for their remaining years, live a good life – the chimp life. Chimp Haven serves as The National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located on 200-forested acres in northwest Louisiana just outside of Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for more than 300 chimpanzees retired from research or no longer used in the entertainment industry or as pets. As more retired chimpanzees make their way from research institutions to sanctuary, our population continues to grow. Chimp Haven has a well-designed facility to support the physical and emotional well-being of all animals, experienced staff and high standards for operational excellence. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Chimp Haven is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Primary Function: Carry out chimpanzee training objectives using positive reinforcement; including but not limited to foundation behaviors, shifting/recalls, cooperative training, and medical behaviors. This position is designed to work throughout the facility and will not have a particular area of focus.
Duties and Responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Plan training schedules according to goals and with coordinator and senior staff approval.
- Carry out chimpanzee training objectives using positive reinforcement according to approved plans.
- Participate in continuing education regarding PRT and make recommendations
- Review and give input on individual shaping plans
- Learn the identities of the chimpanzees and ID test other animal care staff as needed
- Mentor others on positive reinforcement training of the chimpanzees
- Provide input on updates and summaries for senior staff
- Assist the PRT coordinator with training animal care staff on operant conditioning procedures.
- Assist the PRT coordinator with maintaining PRT logs and other programmatic documentation
- Assist with inventory, cleaning, creating, ordering and maintaining PRT supplies
- Assist with cooperative feeding and shifting
- Assist other animal care staff in maintaining food preparation and PRT storage areas
- May assist behavior staff with targeted interventions for abnormal behavior that utilize PRT
- May assist behavior staff with introductions or behavior monitoring
- May lead educational activities including presentations to the public and at scientific meetings
- May assist husbandry, veterinary or other departmental staff as directed.
- May work with visiting scientists when projects require positive reinforcement training with chimpanzees.
- Assist with colony management decisions and make recommendations for improvements to positive reinforcement training program.
- May be asked to participate in PRT demonstrations for organizational advancement.
Education and experience required:
Entry Level: Minimum requirement of a H.S. diploma, GED, and coursework in a relevant field is required. Intern experience is allowed. One years’ experience providing enrichment and/or training to primates or exotics is required. Primate experience is preferred.
Mid-Level: Minimum requirement of an Associates’ Degree in a relevant field is required. At least 1 year working (paid experience) with chimpanzees. Two years’ experience providing enrichment and/or training to nonhuman primates or exotics is required. A combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
Max Level: Bachelor’s degree required. At least 4 years (paid experience) working with chimpanzees. Four years’ experience in enrichment, training or behavioral study of nonhuman primates required. A combination of 7 years relevant education/experience can be substituted for the education requirement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More than a refuge, Chimp Haven offers 200 acres designed entirely for chimpanzees. Here, chimps can roam woodland and wide-open spaces; feast on fresh fruits and veggies; and thrive in large families. Here, they’re living the chimp life.
Company Website: www.chimphaven.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)