POSITION TITLE:Clinical Veterinarian
Shift: Day shift; on-call availability for emergencies during nights and weekends as scheduled
FLSA/Status: Exempt / Full-time
Risk Level: 3
SUPERVISES:May contribute to the supervision of one or more veterinary technicians in the absence of the Director of Veterinary Care and the Vet Tech Supervisor.
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW:Chimp Haven serves as the National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located on 200 forested acres in northwest Louisiana just outside of Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for over 300 chimpanzees, most of whom are retired from biomedical research. As more retired chimpanzees make their way from research institutions to sanctuary, our population continues to grow. Chimp Haven has a well-designed facility to support the physical and emotional well-being of all animals, experienced staff and high standards for operational excellence. The organization is accredited by AAALAC and the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, USDA inspected and a member of the North American Primate Sanctuary Alliance. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. Equal Opportunity Employer.
THE OPPORTUNITY:As a key member of the veterinary team, provide routine and emergency medical care for the chimpanzee colony which includes juveniles through geriatric residents. This position affords the right candidate a unique opportunity to not only provide hands-on medical care to chimpanzees, but also learn all aspects of sanctuary medicine, share your knowledge and learnings with others in the field, and participate in colony management decisions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE:
1. Medical Care and Records
· Oversee all aspects of colony health, including health surveillance; ensure proper care is given to chimpanzees at all times.
· Diagnose and treat medical conditions, diseases, and injuries; coordinate chimpanzee health care with consulting veterinarians, specialists and staff as needed.
· Provide visual health monitoring of sick or injured chimpanzees in conjunction with other veterinary clinical and animal care staff.
· Maintain proficiency in anesthesia, anesthetic monitoring, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
· Prescribe and dose and approve medications for individual health needs.
· Perform and interpret diagnostic procedures including but not limited to radiographs, ultrasound, laboratory, tests and physical exams.
· Assist or perform surgical procedures, including but not limited to wound care, digital amputations, dental care, soft tissue and abdominal surgeries directly benefitting the chimpanzee.
· Perform euthanasia and necropsies as required.
· Maintain clinical records (written and electronic-Avimark).
· Communicate critical cases to animal care staff and educate on possible outcomes.
· Plan and implement preventive health programs to include positive reinforcement for medical behaviors.
· Participate in transportation of chimpanzees from sending institutions and may lead the chimpanzee unloading and introduction to quarantine facility. - ID test employees on newly arrived chimpanzees
· Participate in the introduction process of newly introduced social groups along with behavior and husbandry staff.
· Adherence to Federal, State, and local regulations governing Animal Care/Nutrition and Diet preparation.
· Work with visiting scientists and supervise volunteers or interns.
· May give consult to veterinarians at other institutions on chimpanzee physical examination/sedation standard operating procedures.
· Train animal care staff on veterinary procedures.
· Obtain further echocardiogram training in chimpanzees to allow for thorough cardiac evaluation of our chimpanzees and further collaboration with Great Ape Heart Project.
· Maintain a safe workplace, value, and model safe work practices, adhering to organizational safety practices and rules, and addressing or communicating to leadership about unsafe practices and conditions. Take the lead in escape drills and adverse events as appropriate.
· Participate in controlled substance use, regulatory compliance, and related documentation.
· Actively participate in Chimp Haven staff and veterinary team meetings.
· Represent the veterinary department at Chimpanzee Discovery Days and may participate in facility tours or further media opportunities.
· May lead accreditation and certification efforts, and assist with regulatory reports and inspections (SCCC, USDA, NIH, AAALAC, and GFAS).
· Monitor inventory, order and stock supplies, medication, and equipment.
· Participate in bi-weekly clinic walk throughs to ensure regulatory compliance.
· Participate in management of departmental budget.
· May hire, train, and supervise veterinary technicians.
· Write grants, proposals, manuscripts, and other communications.
· Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree from accredited veterinary college
· Must be able to obtain license to practice in Louisiana.
· Record of three years’ work experience within an animal care facility, organization or veterinary practice.
· Two years supervisory experience in an animal/veterinary facility and knowledge of safety and biohazard procedures required.
· Demonstrated clinical and surgical veterinary skills—record of work experience within an animal care facility, organization or veterinary practice.
· Good communication and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks in an organized manner with minimal supervision.
· Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure and maintain positive interactions with colleagues, staff, and volunteers even during times of stress.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
· Clinical proficiency with NHPs and a high level of technical skill specific to primates and emergency veterinary experience preferred, but willing to train qualified candidate.
· Completion of either a post-doctoral internship or residency program specializing in nonhuman primate medicine, laboratory animal medicine and/or behavior preferred. Certification as a Diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) preferred.
· Experience with IACUC activities and research protocol review/approval process, and/or consultant service to the IACUC preferred.
· Strong technology skills; experience leading a data-driven approach to development. Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and Avimark software system preferred.
· Results-driven and achievement oriented. Conveys optimism and demonstrates resilience. Recovers quickly from set-backs and overcomes obstacles.
· Organized yet flexible. Willing to pivot or adjust plan in order to respond to changing priorities or the needs of chimpanzees.
· Conveys energy and passion about Chimp Haven’s work and mission. Ability to tell the Chimp Haven story and discuss the veterinary program with visitors.
· Writes clearly and concisely.
· Effective leadership skills.
· Collaborates with team members within the veterinary department and across the organization to discuss ideas, develop new processes and solve problems related to chimpanzee care; operates with authenticity, clarity, transparency, and effectiveness.
· Willingness to readily share your knowledge with others, answer questions from staff and help others gain an understanding of your work and decisions made.
· Willingness to seek and listen to feedback from others and find the best way to incorporate feedback.
TO APPLY, visit https://chimphaven.apscareerportal.com and complete the online application and submit your resume through the hiring portal.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More than a refuge, Chimp Haven offers 200 acres designed entirely for chimpanzees. Here, chimps can roam woodland and wide-open spaces; feast on fresh fruits and veggies; and thrive in large families. Here, they’re living the chimp life.
Company Website: www.chimphaven.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)