- Perform animal wellness checks
- Prepare and provide diets
- Distribute medications under guidance of veterinary staff
- Prepare/implement enrichment
- Sanitize enrichment items in accordance with USDA regulations and AAALAC standards
- Clean and/or sanitize bedroom and support areas (kitchen, fruit cooler, breakroom, storage, feed/bedding storage)
- Prepare / transport food, bedding and supplies
- Observe chimpanzee behavior and appearance
- Maintain records of health, behavior, cleaning, etc.
- Participate in educational programs as directed
- Participate in an intensive training program
- Provide training to chimpanzees
- Perform related duties as required
Supervision and Responsibility
- Works under general supervision of Colony Director, Supervisor, or senior animal care staff.
- Does not normally supervise anyone, but may serve as group leader.
- Assists with training new employees.
- Knowledgeable about variety of field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on pre-established guidelines and experience to plan and accomplish goals.
- Exercises judgment to make recommendations for improvement.
Education and Experience Required
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Must be able to read and follow written and verbal instructions and write legibly and accurately.
- No prior animal experience required, but must have aptitude for the care and well-being of animals.
Other Requirements and Working Conditions
- This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching, and writing.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal additional staff on site.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50lbs for short distances.
- Must be able to assist in lifting chimpanzees (up to 75lbs).
- Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
- Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
- Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
- Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella, etc.) infectious agents (Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.)
- Weekend and holiday work may be necessary.
- Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
- Safety training, equipment, clothing, and supplies will be provided
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More than a refuge, Chimp Haven offers 200 acres designed entirely for chimpanzees. Here, chimps can roam woodland and wide-open spaces; feast on fresh fruits and veggies; and thrive in large families. Here, they’re living the chimp life.
Company Website: www.chimphaven.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)