Descriptive Title: Assistant Caregiver (Part-Time)
Shift: Day/Evenings Part-Time
Risk Level: 3
Assist caregivers with cleaning various rooms and items, preparing food for chimps, preparing enrichment items for the chimps, and assisting staff as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Prepare food for chimpanzees.
· Clean and sanitize rooms and equipment
· Remove and replace bedding if necessary
· Observe chimpanzee behavior and appearance.
· Report unusual behavior or injuries.
· Transport food, bedding or supplies from storage areas to animal areas.
· Maintain records of health, behavior, cleaning, etc.
· Prepare enrichment and training reinforcement for chimpanzees as directed.
· Participate in educational programs as directed.
· May assist behavioral or veterinary staff as directed.
· Ensure premises are secure
· Perform related duties as required.
Education & Experience:
· High school diploma or GED required. Must be able to read and follow written and verbal instructions and write legibly and accurately.
· Associate degree or animal related experience preferred.
· No prior animal experience required but must have aptitude for the care and wellbeing of animals.
· This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, and lifting,
· Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50 lbs for short distances.
· Must be able to assist in lifting chimpanzees (up to 75 lbs.).
· Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles. Must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
· Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
· Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
· Potential exposure to disease that may pass from the chimps to a human.
· Relevant vaccinations are required (MMR and COVID).
· Safety training, equipment, clothing, and supplies will be provided.
Chimp Haven offer employees a competitive salary and benefits package and
we all work in a team atmosphere. Chimp Haven is an equal opportunity employer