None Shift: Days/Emergencies as needed, shifts determined with supervisor and based on the needs of the organization but will include holidays and weekends.
FLSA: Non-exempt Risk Level: 3
Provide enrichment and positive reinforcement training to chimpanzees and improve chimpanzee well-being via formal behavioral observations and evaluation of enrichment provided. Provide excellent animal care, superior guest experiences, and inspire others to support the mission of Chimp Haven. Ensure and promote excellent standards of care for the chimpanzees.
Duties and Responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Prepare and distribute enrichment items for chimpanzees and/or to husbandry staff for distribution, according to approved schedule. • Plan enrichment and training schedules according to goals and with senior staff approval.
• Carry out chimpanzee training objectives using positive reinforcement according to approved plans.
• Conduct behavioral observations according to approved schedule.
• Assist with behavioral studies and data entry, summarization, and presentation to staff. May assist in writing up studies and working toward publications in order to share information with others in the field.
• Assist with chimpanzee socialization procedures including introductions. May lead introductions.
• Maintain and oversee enrichment records.
• Participate in and may lead education programs.
• May concentrate on enrichment, training or behavioral research responsibilities.
• May assist husbandry, veterinary or other departmental staff as directed.
• Lead or assist in training animal care staff on enrichment and operant conditioning procedures. Work towards mentoring others in the positive reinforcement training program.
• Assist other animal care staff in maintaining food preparation areas.
• Order supplies according to approved budget.
• Work with volunteers and visiting scientists.
Education and Experience Preferred
Minimum requirement of an Associates’ Degree in a relevant field is required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Intern experience is allowed. Two years’ experience providing enrichment and/or training to primates or exotics is required. Primate experience is required. One year of experience with formal behavioral observations is required. A history of presentation at scientific conferences or publications is preferred.
A combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
Other requirements and working conditions
• This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
• Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50 lbs. for short distances.
• Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
• Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
• Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella etc.), infectious agents (Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.).
• Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
• Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided. • Duties may require driving Chimp Haven’s vehicles which requires a valid driver’s license. Must also meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More than a refuge, Chimp Haven offers 200 acres designed entirely for chimpanzees. Here, chimps can roam woodland and wide-open spaces; feast on fresh fruits and veggies; and thrive in large families. Here, they’re living the chimp life.
Company Website: www.chimphaven.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)