- Prepare and provide food to the chimpanzees
- Clean and sanitize chimpanzee housing areas, equipment, and other related areas or materials. May use cleaning equipment.
- Remove and replace bedding.
- Observe chimpanzee behavior and appearance. Report unusual behavior or injuries.
- Transport food, bedding, or supplies from storage areas to animal areas.
- Maintain records of health, behavior, cleaning, etc.
- Provide enrichment and training to chimpanzees as directed.
- May administer medications and treatment under supervision.
- May maintain stock of feed, bedding, and cleaning supplies.
- May assist in planning and implementing special projects, including educational programs.
- May assist behavioral or veterinary staff as directed.
- Assist in training new animal care staff.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Works under general supervision of Colony Director, Supervisor, or senior animal care staff.
- Does not normally supervise anyone, but may serve as group leader.
- Assists with training new employees.
- Knowledgeable about variety of field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on pre-established guidelines and experience to plan and accomplish goals.
- Exercises judgment to make recommendations for improvement.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Must be able to read and follow written and verbal instructions and write legibly and accurately.
- No prior animal experience required, but must have aptitude for the care and well-being of animals.
- This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching, and writing.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50lbs for short distances.
- Must be able to assist in lifting chimpanzees (up to 75lbs).
- Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
- Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
- Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
- Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella, etc.) infectious agents (Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.)
- Weekend, holiday, and night work may be necessary.
- Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
- Safety training, equipment, clothing, and supplies will be provided
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More than a refuge, Chimp Haven offers 200 acres designed entirely for chimpanzees. Here, chimps can roam woodland and wide-open spaces; feast on fresh fruits and veggies; and thrive in large families. Here, they’re living the chimp life.
Company Website: www.chimphaven.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)