Title Class: Maintenance Laborer
Descriptive Title: Maintenance Laborer
Shift: Normally days, but night and weekend work may be required.
Risk Level: 3
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: At Chimp Haven, we believe we are not that different, humans and chimpanzees. Chimps have personalities, emotions and relationships, just like us, and we are on a mission to connect them to the happy healthy lives they deserve. That is why we are providing and promoting personalized care for chimpanzees (most of whom were retired from biomedical research) by helping them, for their remaining years, live a good life – the chimp life. Chimp Haven serves as The National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located on 200-forested acres in northwest Louisiana just outside of Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for more than 290 chimpanzees retired from research or no longer used in the entertainment industry or as pets. As more retired chimpanzees make their way from research institutions to sanctuary, our population continues to grow. Chimp Haven has a well-designed facility to support the physical and emotional well-being of all animals, experienced staff and high standards for operational excellence. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Chimp Haven is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Provide maintenance, repair and improvement of facilities, grounds, structures and utilities. Most duties performed under general supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist with routine preventive maintenance to ensure that equipment runs smoothly, facility systems operate efficiently, and the physical condition of buildings does not deteriorate.
· May have primary responsibility for minor maintenance work, groundwork or janitorial work.
· May assist with diagnosis and repair of machine malfunctions.
· Assist with building, repairing, and painting structures, roofs, windows, doors, floors, woodwork, plaster, drywall, counters, benches, partitions and other structures.
· Transport items by hand, hand truck or motorized vehicle or machinery.
· Clean and organize work areas.
· May trim and prune trees and clear undergrowth; care for established landscaping by mowing, watering, edging, mulching, aerating, weeding, and trimming; plant seeds, bulbs and plants; maintain flower beds.
· Use fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides and other pesticides.
· Gather and remove litter.
· Use tools ranging from common hand and power tools.
· Maintain Discovery Day area for daily tours and weekend open house days.
Supervision and Responsibility
Works under general supervision of the Director Facility & Grounds. Does not normally supervise anyone. May supervise volunteers. Knowledgeable about area of specialization, including concepts, practices and procedures. Relies on pre-established guidelines, experience to plan, and accomplish goals. Exercises judgment to make recommendations for improvement.
Education/Training and Experience
High School Diploma or GED required
· No prior facilities and/or grounds maintenance experience required, but an aptitude for maintaining the proper working conditions of the facility and grounds is necessary.
Other requirements and working conditions
· This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
· Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50 lbs. for short distances.
· Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
· Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
· Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
· Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella etc.), infectious agents (Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.).
· Weekend, holiday and night work may be necessary.
· Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
· Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies provided by Chimp Haven.
To apply, please visit https://chimphaven.apscareerportal.com