POSITION TITLE: Assistant Behavior Technician
REPORTS TO: Director of Behavior and Research
Title Class: Assistant Behavior Technician
Descriptive Title: Assistant Behavior Technician
Risk Level: 3
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: At Chimp Haven we believe we’re not that different, humans and chimpanzees. Chimps have personalities, emotions and relationships, just like us, and we are on a mission to connect them to the happy healthy lives they deserve. That is why we are providing and promoting personalized care for chimpanzees (most of whom were retired from biomedical research) by helping them, for their remaining years, live a good life – the chimp life. Chimp Haven serves as The National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located on 200-forested acres in northwest Louisiana just outside of Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for more than 300 chimpanzees retired from research or no longer used in the entertainment industry or as pets. As more retired chimpanzees make their way from research institutions to sanctuary, our population continues to grow. Chimp Haven has a well-designed facility to support the physical and emotional well-being of all animals, experienced staff and high standards for operational excellence. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Chimp Haven is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Provide enrichment and training to chimpanzees and improve chimpanzee well-being via observational studies and evaluation of enrichment and training procedures. Reports to Director of Behavior and Research.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE:
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Prepare and distribute enrichment items for chimpanzees and/or to husbandry staff for distribution, according to approved schedule.
- Plan enrichment and training schedules according to goals and with senior staff approval.
- Carry out chimpanzee training objectives using positive reinforcement according to approved plans.
- Conduct behavioral observations according to approved schedule.
- May assist with behavioral studies and data entry and summarization.
- May assist with chimpanzee socialization procedures including introductions.
- Maintain and oversee enrichment records.
- May participate in and may lead education programs.
- May concentrate on enrichment, training or behavioral research responsibilities.
- May assist husbandry, veterinary or other departmental staff as directed.
- Assist in training animal care staff on enrichment and operant conditioning procedures.
- Assist other animal care staff in maintaining food preparation areas.
- Order supplies.
- Work with volunteers and visiting scientists.
Entry Level: Minimum requirement of a H.S. diploma, GED, and coursework in a relevant field is required. Intern experience is allowed. One years’ experience providing enrichment and/or training to primates or exotics is required. Primate experience is preferred.
Mid Level: Minimum requirement of an Associates Degree in a relevant field is required. At least 1 year working (paid experience) with chimpanzees. Two years' experience providing enrichment and/or training to nonhuman primates or exotics is required. A combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
Max Level: Bachelor's degree required. At least 4 years (paid experience) working with chimpanzees. Four years' experience in enrichment, training or behavioral study of nonhuman primates required. A combination of 7 years relevant education/experience can be substituted for the education requirement.
Other requirements and working conditions:
- This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50 lbs for short distances.
- Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
- Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
- Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
- Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella etc.), infectious agents (Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.).
- Weekend, holiday and night work may be necessary.
- Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
- Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided.
Chimp Haven in Keithville, LA
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More than a refuge, Chimp Haven offers 200 acres designed entirely for chimpanzees. Here, chimps can roam woodland and wide-open spaces; feast on fresh fruits and veggies; and thrive in large families. Here, they’re living the chimp life.
Company Website: www.chimphaven.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)