Title Class: Assistant Veterinary Technician
Descriptive Title: Assistant Veterinary Technician
Shift: Normally days, including weekends. Night work may be required.
Risk Level: 3
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: At Chimp Haven we believe we’re not that different, humans and chimpanzees. Chimps have personalities, emotions and relationships, just like us, and we are on a mission to connect them to the happy healthy lives they deserve. That is why we are providing and promoting personalized care for chimpanzees (most of whom were retired from biomedical research) by helping them, for their remaining years, live a good life – the chimp life. Chimp Haven serves as The National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located on 200-forested acres in northwest Louisiana just outside of Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for more than 300 chimpanzees retired from research or no longer used in the entertainment industry or as pets. As more retired chimpanzees make their way from research institutions to sanctuary, our population continues to grow. Chimp Haven has a well-designed facility to support the physical and emotional well-being of all animals, experienced staff and high standards for operational excellence. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Chimp Haven is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Provide medical care for chimpanzees. Most duties performed under general supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide assistance to veterinary technicians and veterinarians.
- Observe chimpanzees for detection of symptoms associated with disease.
- Dispense medication to chimpanzees under direction of veterinarian.
- Maintain med bottles, trays and medical log books.
- Prepare med bottles for AM and PM distributions.
- Record observations and may maintain chimpanzee medical records.
- May recover chimpanzees.
- Assist veterinarian with physical exams, treatments and procedures, including the collection of samples for testing as needed.
- Assist during necropsies, including operation of equipment.
- Maintain cleanliness of pharmacy.
- Stock veterinary supplies as instructed by the veterinary technician.
- Work with veterinary technicians to maintain medical and surgical equipment.
- Work with veterinary technicians to coordinate laboratory tests.
- Work with behavioral staff to train chimpanzees to cooperate during medical procedures.
- Assist behavioral or husbandry staff as required.
- Assist with training of new employees
- May train other animal care staff on procedures.
- May supervise volunteers.
- Perform related duties as required.
Education and Experience Required
Assistant Veterinary Technician requires a high school diploma or equivalent. A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Education Preferred: A veterinary technical degree is preferred.
Experience and skills required: Applicants must have an aptitude for the care and wellbeing of animals.
Experience and skills preferred: Prior veterinary technician experience preferred. One year working with nonhuman primates preferred.
Other requirements and working conditions
This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
Must be able to routinely lift and carry 165 lbs. for short distances. Must be able to assist in lifting chimpanzees (up to 198 lbs.).
Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella etc.), infectious agents (Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.).
Weekend work is necessary. Current schedules available-Sunday-Thursday and Tuesday-Saturday. Holiday and night work may be necessary.
Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided.
To apply, please visit https://chimphaven.apscareerportal.com and complete the online application and submit your resume and cover letter.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More than a refuge, Chimp Haven offers 200 acres designed entirely for chimpanzees. Here, chimps can roam woodland and wide-open spaces; feast on fresh fruits and veggies; and thrive in large families. Here, they’re living the chimp life.
Company Website: www.chimphaven.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)